Karachi Circular Railway, a Reality became Dream….
Karachi once the most beautiful and attractive city in Asia, now a picture of misery, like an orphan with no one to care about. City of more than 20 Millions is without any Transport system, set side Mass transport.
There are several Projects in pending since Years not months. Feasibilities were made, staff were hired, monthly salaries are paying but nothing happening for a single project. Karachi Circular Railway is one of the most highlighted project among all such projects.
. Its revival is awaited since many years. So many promises and deadlines made this project A Joke now. Concerned citizens are now waiting for the implementation of this Projects as their long awaited Dream. Below is the chronology showing the pity….
- October 12, 2015 Federal Minister Planning, Development & Reform Ahsan Iqbal said that federal government desires to launch Karachi Circular Railway (KCR) project as early as possible. Federal and Sindh governments want Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to execute this project. He stated this while chairing a review meeting of KCR at Ministry of Planning, Development & Reform. Officials of Sindh government & Railway Ministry and representatives of JICA participated in the meeting.
- January 20, 2015 Karachi Circular Railway (KCR) project worth some $2 billion could be at risk as the Japanese government balks at project after a spate of land ownership disputes, official sources said on Monday.They added that the Japanese government expressed its inability to carry out the project after it was wrongly accused of land grabbing. (http://www.thenews.com.pk/print/19351-japan-balks-at-karachi-circular-railway-project)Proposed Johar Station
- November 2, 2014 The Karachi Circular Railway (KCR) project once again seems to be in doldrums as the Sindh government cannot decide whether they want to give it to the Chinese or the Japanese. (http://tribune.com.pk/story/784741/karachi-circular-railway-for-sindh-its-a-toss-up-between-china-and-japan/)
- May 10, 2014 : Karachi Circular Railway proposals finally complete, http://tribune.com.pk/story/706511/next-stop-karachi-circular-railway-proposals-finally-complete/Proposed Cant Station
- 2012 : The Karachi Circular Railway (KCR) project is expected to kick off around June-July in 2013 and while it is hoped that the task would be completed by May-June 2017,
- 2011 JICA financial mission to visit Karachi for final approval of KCR – http://ppinewsagency.com/85057/jica-financial-mission-to-visit-karachi-for-final-approval-of-kcr/#sthash.gmX4Worv.dpuf
- 2008 : Karachi Urban Transport Corporation (KUTC) is a regulatory authority which will be the vehicle for the implementation of KCR project. KUTC was incorporated on 8 May, 2008 in Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) as Public Limited Co. (http://www.kutckcr.com)
- Revival Plan: The KCR will consist of a loop line fromKarachi City to Drigh Road via Liaquatabad. 29 kilometres will be revived with an additional 21 kilometre dual track from Karachi City to Jinnah International Airport, allowing the KCR to connect to thePakistan Railway main line. The KCR is expected to hold carry on average of 700,000 passengers on 246 trains daily when completed
- In 1999 KCR operations were discontinued
- By 1994 the KCR was in incurring major losses and as a result the vast majority of trains were discontinued with only a few running on the Loop..
- The original KCR line extended from Drigh Road Station and ended at Karachi City Station carrying 6 million passengers annually.The KCR was in instant success and made a significant profit in its first year of operation. During the 1970s and 1980s the KCR was at its peak with 104 daily trains, of which 80 trains ran on the main track while the remaining 24 ran on the loop line. During the 1990s, the private transporters of Karachi contracted KCR staff who became indulged in corruption
- 1969 Began Operation